A Fuller House

The new school year for teachers with newborns

LHS staff member Daechia Miller’s three children.

Gabrielle Brown, Staff Writer

Multiple Lancaster High School teachers such as Kylee Crist, Rebecca Taylor, Daechia Miller, and others have welcomed new bundles of joy to their families over the course of this year and last. Three teachers discussed the joys and difficulties of expanding their families and how it has affected their day-to-day life.

Kylee Crist LHS Environmental Science teacher welcomed a six-week premature baby in March.

Crist explained that life often presents challenges when raising a growing family, but that the rewards outweigh the difficulties.

LHS staff member Kylee Crist's family. Photo curiosity of Crist.
LHS staff member Kylee Crist’s family. Photo curiosity of Crist.

“There is never a perfect time to add another person to your family, but it is always worth it! I can’t imagine my life without my husband and my kids. Even though the days can be long and exhausting, especially with little sleep at night, my family is really the best part of me! Being a mom is just the coolest!”

Crist also talked about the scariness of having a premature baby.

“Although it was scary at first to have a baby so early, he was really quite low maintenance once he arrived! He is now six months old and his little personality has really flourished!”

Crist is also the head coach of the LHS swim team and how she is happy to return to her work since her maternity leave.

“I’m so happy to be back this school year. I have gotten back into working out and still enjoy being active and following the kids around to all their activities! My favorite days are the ones spent with my family!”

Rebecca Taylor, an Algebra One teacher at LHS talked about her experience of what it was like to return from summer break with a new routine for a newborn.

“Returning back to work was refreshing! Of course, I miss my babies, but I love teaching, and it has been nice to get into a routine.”

This is not Taylor’s first maternity leave and spoke about the experience of planning the leave.

“Planning for maternity leave was much easier the second time around! I had the same long-term sub as my first maternity leave, so I knew what to expect. I knew she would be great with my students no matter how detailed my sub plans were”

Taylor also talks about how having a routine helps her, not only as a teacher but as a mother as well, and how her kids enjoy being a part of the LHS community.

“I have a type A personality and need routine! I love being a working mom. It makes the time with my kiddos even more special! Coming to work forces my kids to get used to someone else besides me or my husband taking care of them and they love playing somewhere other than home too!”

LHS staff member Rebecca Taylor’s family. Photo courtesy of Taylor.

Talyor also shares about her family and noted the blessing of family.

“My oldest daughter, Ayda, is three and just started preschool. My youngest daughter, Olivia, is now five months old, rolling everywhere, and loves to be entertained by her big sister! Babies are hard but such a blessing!”

Daechia Miller, a junior and senior English teacher at LHS spoke about how she was excited to see new and former students after returning from her maternity leave, but how it was also difficult to leave her newborn as well.

“I love my job, and I was so excited to see my former students and meet my new students, but it was also very difficult to leave my new little baby. However, I am grateful to have such a wonderful environment to come back to here at LHS! My students make it all worth it!”

Miller said that a lot of planning had to take place before she left for maternity leave but had faith that her co-teacher and substitute teacher were capable of helping students learn in her absence.

“My sub was able to just make the assignments I had scheduled live. Miss Vannatta was also wonderful in making sure everything went smoothly after I left.”

Although getting her family ready before she leaves for school, she also gets to experience something special that prepares her to face the day.

LHS staff member Daechia Miller’s family. Photo courtesy of Miller.

“I love the cuddles in the morning before work! Dallas and his siblings are a great reminder of why I do what I do! I love my family and my job!”

Miller said that it is a challenge to juggle her life with a baby, two older children, and her students at school, but that in the end, it is all worth it.

“It is a balancing act. I want to give the best of myself in everything I do and so I do get tired, but it is all worth it.”

Miller has been with her husband since they were sixteen and said that her older children love being bigger siblings.

“Our life is busy and a little chaotic but so fun! Daisy and Wesley love being older siblings!