Suicide
The student news site of Lancaster High School

Eye of the Gale

Eye of the Gale

Eye of the Gale

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Br-r-r-raving the Icy Waters

LHS Superintendent jumps in to support fundraiser
Superintendent of Lancaster City Schools Nathan Hale jumps in Buckeye Lake. Photo courtesy of Simmons.

More than 200 volunteers jumped into the icy cold Buckeye Lake to help raise money for the annual United Way Polar Plunge. Among the volunteers was Lancaster City School Superintendent Nathan Hale. This year’s event brought in over $16,000 benefiting United Way of Fairfield County along with the United Way of Licking County and United Way of Muskingum, Perry and Morgan Counties.

Christine Simmons, CEO of United Way of Fairfield County with former United Way of Fairfield County Campaign and Event Coordinator, Emily Cordle. Photo courtesy of Simmons.

¨Buckeye Lake Winery started the Polar Plunge eleven years ago to bring in business during the winter months and it has consistently grown over the years. It’s one of the big attractions during the annual Buckeye Lake Winterfest,¨ said Christine Simmons, CEO, United Way of Fairfield County.

The Polar Plunge featured a costume contest, six area celebrities, and a team of jumpers representing both the Fairfield County Sheriff’s Office and the Lancaster Police Department.

Nathan Hale, LCS Superintendent, was one of the area celebrities who jumped into the lake.

“I decided to participate in the Polar Plunge back in August of 2023. At the opening day meeting for all LCS staff, I made a promise to jump in the lake as an incentive to increase participation in the United Way annual campaign from our staff members. I have been on the United Way Board of Directors for several years and I am passionate about the impact they have on our community,” he said.

Nathan Hale and Deb Connell. Photo courtesy Simmons.

¨It was exciting to see all of the people at the event and the support generated for the United Way of Fairfield County. It was a fun experience and something that I have never done before. It was very cold but I would definitely do it again,” said Hale.

General Sherman School Resource Officer Kristy Peck also participated as part of the Fairfield County Sheriff’s group.

¨It was an experience like no other, it was a shock to my system and all I could think about when I came up from under the water was getting out,¨ she explained.

¨My favorite part was getting to jump with my twin sister, who is also a deputy. No negatives, I’d do it again and will be participating in next year’s polar plunge,¨ said Peck.

Participants of the Polar Plunge received t-shirts and prizes were given to individual and team winners of the costume contest. Next year’s Polar Plunge event will be on Sunday, January 26, 2025. To register, visit the United Way of Fairfield County website.