Dealing with Addictions

What statistics indicate about teens using drugs

LHS Resource Officer Whitacker talks about teen addictions.

Mia Wright, Staff Writer

Latest national statistics show that while teenage drug abuse is considered a significant public health concern, the good news is that overall, of the teenagers surveyed, most reported that substance abuse in 2022 held steady from the previous year (National Institute on Drug Abuse). One of the challenges for parents and school staff can be the ever-changing trends in drug use. Currently, the number one trend in teen addiction is the use of e-cigarettes and vaping. According to the American Addiction Center, about one in sixteen high school seniors use marijuana every day (Watkins).

LHS freshman Austin Moore said vaping seems to affect many people that he knows.

LHS freshman Austin Moore.

“In my opinion, drug addiction in teens is very severe, especially with nicotine and vapes. I’ve heard about countless people, friends, and ex-friends included who have been on a drug, vape, or smoked. I’ve also found vapes around the school and it’s sad. People you think would never try anything like that somehow end up addicted,” he said.

LHS Resource Officer Jennifer Whitaker said she mainly sees teens trying drugs that often kickstarts an addiction and listed reasons why teenagers abuse drugs.

“Peer pressure, boredom, wanting to be cool or accepted by their peer group, seeing parents do it, experimenting, pain whether it be physical or mental. Teen addictions are more difficult due to the maturity level, they are not as averse on how to get help and usually need help, most think they’re so-called invincible,” said Whitaker.

LHS sophomore Jasmine Abbott.

There are many other reasons why teens get addicted to drugs such as mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, rebelliousness, social media influences, self-harm, or unhealthy coping mechanisms (Mayo Clinic).

LHS sophomore Jasmine Abbott thinks that drug use among teens is common but also may have some health benefits.

“People get into smoking and drugs for different reasons and I would say that most teens do use substances. While it has its downs, it also has advantages and can be helpful with different situations like anxiety. I think that the people we are around reflect a lot on the reasons people do it and don’t do it. I would say the addiction situation is pretty bad overall,” she said.

Sheriff Deputy Jared Boss with Pickaway County said he believes it is far too easy for youth to obtain drugs.

“Drug dealers don’t have an age limit, it’s probably easier to get it than a pack of cigarettes,” said Boss.

LHS senior Braden Larson

LHS senior Braden Larson agreed that it is not difficult for teenagers to obtain illegal substances.

“I feel as if drugs are a confusing situation right now for our age group. If you are 18 and out of school, it is your own decision to use drugs. But people in our age group have a lot of access to it and no matter how much they may object, there are downsides to using,” he said.

Deputy Jared Boss. Photo courtesy of Boss.

Deputy Boss elaborated on the downsides of drug addiction.

“People who are addicted will never admit they’re addicted, so it’s a very hard and long process for them. They gotta hit rock bottom before they decide they wanna stop doing it. When I mean rock bottom, I mean no more family behind them, lost their job, they don’t have a house, they’re living on the streets, even then to some of them that’s not rock bottom.”

The National Institute of Health reports suggests the following options in treating and overcoming drug addiction: behavioral counseling, medication medical devices, and applications used to treat withdrawal symptoms or deliver skills training evaluation and treatment for co-occurring mental health issues such as depression and anxiety long-term follow-up to prevent relapse.

Need help?
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
National Alliance on Mental Illness HelpLine:1-800-950-6264
National Drug HelpLine:1-844-289-0879
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids:1-855-378-4373
SAMHSA’s National Helpline:1-800-662-HELP (4357)