Adapting with the Times

Covid-19 transformed the role of school nurses

Image courtesy of ABC News.

The ongoing pandemic has transformed many careers, even here at Lancaster High School. The duties of the nurses in the district have been altered to ensure that the staff and students stay as healthy as possible. The addition of the ill room has been one of the most notable changes.  In fact, 2020 drastically altered what it means to be a nurse.

“It has elevated our strength, compassion, expertise, and shown the world that nurses are instrumental not only in guiding a nation through a pandemic, but communities and hospitals would collapse without us,”  Said Amy Isler, MSN, RN, CSN, a staff member of Nurse.org.

This school year, the Latin classroom at LHS was converted to adapt to the requirements and restrictions suggested by the Center for Disease Control (CDC).

LHS District Health Coordinator, Sarah McGraw. Photo courtesy of McGraw.

“The establishment of a separate ill room was to help mitigate the risk of a COVID-19 outbreak within our school.  It was one of many mitigating strategies the school district implemented this school year,” said Sarah McGraw, the district health Coordinator. 

McGraw elaborated on what the ill room is for.

“The establishment of a separate ill room was to help mitigate the risk of a COVID-19 outbreak within our school.  It was one of many mitigating strategies the school district implemented this school year,” said McGraw.

The ill room is for anyone who is showing signs of illness.  This is due to the wide range of COVID-19 symptoms.  The district protocol all school year has been to send students and staff home who are exhibiting signs and symptoms of illness,” said McGraw. 

She added that any person who shows signals of covid-19 must stay at home. 

“The individual is to remain home until either cleared by their medical provider to return to school/work or their symptoms have resolved for 24 hours.  A member of the health services staff then makes a follow-up call the next day to check in on the student or staff member.” 

Health workers at LHS, (left) Christy Phillips and (right) Wendy Stebelton. Photo courtesy of Philips.

This is a dramatic change from last year when there wasn’t a need for an ill room.

McGraw gives credit to the students and staff for the many different mitigating strategies that have been implemented by the staff and students. 

“monitoring themselves for symptoms of COVID and staying home when ill, frequently washing and sanitizing their hands, thoroughly cleaning and sanitizing the school environment, maintaining social distancing to the greatest extent possible, wearing facial coverings, and more recently, receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.  It has truly been a team effort,” she said. 

Junior at LHS, Sophia Martin. Photo courtesy of Martin.

Wendy Stebelton, a nurse that works in the ill room said that she has bonded with the students and staff.

“In the ill room at LHS, I have become better acquainted with students and staff as well being able to ensure everyone gets home in a safe and timely manner,” she said.

Nearly everyone during their school career has been to the nurse for one reason or another. 

“I felt ill and wanted to go home, but I knew I didn’t have covid, the lady [nurse] was nice and walked me out when I was released,” Said Sophia Martin, a Junior.