25th Annual Gift of Time

Volunteers giving back to the community

Madison Wright, Community Editor

tory Kyer daid she enjoys giving back to the community.

They say the best gift one may give another is the gift of time. That’s just what many Lancaster High School students did to make the upcoming holidays a little brighter for families in the Lancaster community.

An estimated 143 volunteers from clubs, organizations, and athletic teams showed up to help families create memories at the 25th annual Gift of Time. The traditional event held at LHS is sponsored by the Fairfield County Early Childhood Association and runs simultaneously with the Kiwanis Club annual pancake breakfast.

Families from the community are treated to holiday activities, a visit by Santa Claus, and of course lots and lots of pancakes.
The FCECA specifically acknowledged LHS students for their generous time in setting up, presenting the event, and cleaning up afterward.

Lillian Clark gave socks to families at the annual Gift of Time event.

“We continue to be amazed by your fantastic students,” wrote Cathy Crawford of FCECA.

“We had an estimated 143 students on Saturday (and for the first time, we asked for volunteers on Friday and 32 students (mostly the Baseball Team) showed up to help unload and set up); all were prompt, cheerful and tireless (many stayed the entire time helping with set-up and clean-up)”.

LHS sophomore, Tori Kyer the time she put into the event is nothing compared to what she received.

“It is my second year helping kids and family get the spirit of Christmas and holiday cheer,” she said.

“The reason I love to help these families is to give back to the community and see joy upon their faces,” said Kyer.

Cesar Valenzuela-Cupeles volunteered at the Gift of Time event.

Families and their young ones had many opportunities to have fun, explore, and be creative with activities like snowflake spin art, cookie decorating, creating wooden thumb-print ornaments, and writing letters to Santa, and much more. They also had their family pictures taken in the holiday photo booth run by members of the LHS Student Council. LHS senior Cesar Valenzuela-Cupeles said giving his personal time to make others happy was fun.

“It’s a big way to give back to the community,” he said.

LHS sophomore, Lillian Clark, helped run the door prizes and handed out free pairs of socks. She said the Gift of Time event is something she will remember.

“I love being here and seeing all the happy faces. All the children being happy,” she said.