Volleyball Girls Bring the Heat

LHS’s team beats their biggest rival in the OCC

2019-2020 LHS Varsity Volleyball team. Courtesy of @galesveeb on Twitter.

David Bui, Editor in Chief

Lancaster High School’s volleyball team defeated two of their biggest Ohio Capital Conference rivals for a sensational start to the season. In the end, however, they finished their season with a 13-12 record.

Coach Heather Ingram described the overall season highlights.

“I love watching the team mature, their game develop, and I enjoyed seeing them grow into strong, young ladies,” she said.

“The volleyball team never gives up and it definitely has shown through beating their OCC rivals, Pickerington Central and Reynoldsburg,” said Ingram.

LHS senior, Savannah Dryden, took her position as captain of the team very seriously.

“Being in a leadership position is important to me because, as we work hard, we realize it will get us the positives and put us where we want to be,” she said.

As a team, conflicts are bound to occur within the team dynamics but team captain, Grace Vail, a LHS senior, said the team was able to handle challenges well.

Varsity girls chant traditional cheer to get fired up for the annual tournament.

“Being selfless and having the mindset of being a team player helped with the entire team being supportive of each other,” she said.

“Giving that 110% percent at all times helps us to improve, not only for ourselves but for the team as a whole,” said Vail.

LHS junior, Chloe Knight, who has played volleyball for a long time, said that the dedication and commitment that the sport requires is a recipe for success.

“It doesn’t matter what sport or team you play for, anyone can come together and work together as one,” she said.

“For example, beating our OCC rivals showed how working together and working hard pays off in the end,” said Knight.

Being a team member to her means that if everyone is there for each other, no matter what, they are able to play excellently and are there to support each other.

LHS sophomore, Campbell Noland, shared her experience with the team and how it has impacted her.

“Volleyball has definitely impacted my high school career in a positive way. It has allowed me to make new friends and have people I can trust,” Noland said.

She also shared the importance of team bonding.

“The highlights of my season have been our team bonding. Every Wednesday we go over to someone’s house and all eat dinner together after practice. We are constantly laughing and having fun,” Noland said.