Diversity Embraced in a Positive Light

Guatemalan students thriving at LHS
Diversity Embraced in a Positive Light

Imagine attending high school in a foreign country and not being able to understand the language. The transition from Guatemala to America was a reality for three Lancaster High School students. Two of the foreign students have begun their third year at LHS, while another is still in his first year here. Learning English as a second language can be an overwhelming challenge.

The students have come to America for various reasons. According to U.S. News and World Report,  a U.S. degree has an outstanding international reputation that is attractive to immigrants (Bousquet). Another reason immigrants want to go to school in America is because of the flexibility U.S. schools offer compared to international schools. Back in their home country, the schools are more lenient and even optional. Primary school enrollment rates in

Image courtesy of BBC.

Guatemala have progressed significantly over the past 20 years (USAID). However, challenges still exist in the quality of education, learning outcomes, and transition rates of students into secondary and higher education.  Disparities persist between boys and girls, urban and rural, and Ladino and indigenous communities (USAID). ESL teacher Jennifer Spiegel, who has been teaching international students at different schools for thirty-six years, said that the transition from one country to another country is challenging.

¨The culture shock can be difficult, and depending on where they come from the school system is a lot different,¨ Spiegel said.

17-year-old Cristian Lopez is new to LHS this year. He currently lives with his brother who is also his sponsor. A sponsor is someone who covers the expenses for these students. Lopez has noticed a difference in the teaching at LHS, compared to Guatemala.

¨Here in school I like how well the teachers teach, they do not do it that way in Guatemala,¨ said Lopez.

¨Learning the language has been the hardest thing for me,¨ he said.

One-half to two-thirds of adults around the world speak at least two languages. In today’s global society, they have many advantages. Globally, bilingual and bi-literate adults have more job opportunities than monolingual adults (Zelasko & Antunez).

Spiegel, Lopez, and Ruiz work on English language skills.

16-year-old Dayana Ruiz is currently in her third year at LHS. She was a student in Spiegel’s Spanish class two years ago. Spiegel is still coaching her as they work on her English speaking skills. Ruiz has progressed well in learning English and did not need Spiegel to translate for her during her interview with Eye of the Gale. Ruiz said she remembers what it was like when she first came to LHS.

¨At first I understood only two words, ¨thank you¨ and ¨excuse me,¨ stated Ruiz.

The language change and the difference in culture from Guatemala to America was a hard transition for Dayana. However, leaving her family in Guatemala was even tougher for Ruiz because of what she had to leave behind.

¨My family and school because it is more easy for me,¨ Ruiz said.
Dayana has one family member in Lancaster. She is living with her brother who is also her sponsor. Ruiz went on to describe her loved ones back home.

¨My mom and my father are in my household. My father is working while my mom is with me and my brothers. I have been here for three years and have created a lot of memories,¨ Ruiz said.

This is Mrs. Spiegel’s third year with Dayana Ruiz and Reyna Lopez (who preferred not to be interviewed). While Spiegel is teaching Cristian Lopez for the first time this school year. Spiegel also teaches an international kindergartener. Their goal is to learn the English letters and sounds and eventually, she will put them together and make words. Her high schoolers are taught in a more individualized sense.

¨I help each one of them with whatever they need to be successful in school because this is high stakes, they have to get classes done in order to graduate.¨

Spiegel explained that Lopez and Ruiz have accepted our culture and are trying to learn just like any other student at LHS.

¨Cristian is very intelligent and he is embracing the education and trying to get the most out of it, same with Dayana.¨

Image courtesy of BBC.

Foreign students can sometimes feel invisible, lonely, or the exact opposite; they may feel completely exposed and vulnerable if other English speaking students do not acknowledge them appropriately or kindly.  Spiegel feels that English speaking students at LHS have a wonderful chance to get to know foreign students who can share their experiences with others.

¨Sometimes those opportunities are forgotten, like learning about their cultures and what they contribute to the classroom, just more of a world mindset that not everyone’s the same and a whole other culture is coming to our country,¨ Spiegel said.