Not Your Parents FFA

LHS Animal Science Today

Part of the Lancaster High School FFA. Photo courtesy of Louden.

Addyson Brown, Staff Writer

Almost a hundred years ago, Future Farmers of America was established to prepare future generations for the challenges of feeding a growing population. Today the organization emphasizes that agriculture is “more than planting and harvesting – it’s a science, it’s a business and it’s an art” (FFA.org).   Animal science teacher and supervisor of the Lancaster FFA chapter, Lauren Cain, explains a little more is what FFA is about.

“FFA is about leadership, teamwork, and personal development. It is definitely not just about agriculture.  While competitions involve agricultural and animal science-related topics, they also involve various leadership and character-developing options like public speaking,” said Cain.

There are currently 850,823 students in FFA in 8,559 chapters nationwide as reported by FFA.org. FFA is a student organization that focuses not only on agriculture but math and different sciences, hands-on work, important life skills, as well as discovering career paths. It can also offer students many opportunities like scholarships.

LHS junior Jackie Solis, lab manager,  described the various aspects of the club.

“FFA can offer different scholarships that can definitely help on my path to college, as well as hosting leadership nights so that students can really learn about becoming better leaders and using what skills they already have as well as teaching them others like responsibility, collaboration, and professionalism that will help them now and for the rest of their lives,” she said.

President, Bailey Senften. Photo courtesy of Senften.

LHS senior and President of the Lancaster High School FFA, Bailey Senften said that not only has she achieved much from FFA as an individual, but the club has also come a long way.

“I joined FFA because we didn’t have one. I know that sounds odd but I saw all these other schools around us competing in their competitions and I wanted to get the ball rolling for us to be able to do that. So myself, along with Claire, started up FFA to help others get involved and have fun,” Senften said.

Sophomore Claire Louden, Vice President of FFA, explained her role in the club.

Vice President, Claire Louden. Photo courtesy of Louden.

“My responsibilities as an officer are to plan events and work with my other officers to decide what’s best for our chapter. Specifically, as vice president, I work with more of the planning and meeting scheduling and the calendar. I’m also someone that anyone can reach out to for questions about FFA,” she said.

“These skills are something that I will use all throughout my life. I’m still learning and will be every day and that’s what I love most about FFA. You never truly stop learning!” stated Louden.

The LHS chapter of FFA has eight officers: President, senior Bailey Senften, Vice President, sophomore Claire Loudon, Secretary, sophomore Pehrson Nelms, Treasurer, senior Carolyne Todd, Reporter, senior Adasyn Curry, Historian, senior Morgan Nettles, Sentinel, senior Chloe Scott, and Laboratory Manager, junior Jackie Solis. Officers in any club play a very essential role from planning meetings to keeping track of finances. Moreover, the responsibility 

Sentinel, Chloe Scott. Photo courtesy of Scott.

of being an officer also aids students in building skills for the future. 

Senior Chloe Scott said that FFA can help her reach her life goals well beyond high school.

“FFA is more than just farmers and crops, it is a wide base of agricultural opportunities. I’m working towards the goal of becoming a veterinarian. FFA helps provide me skills and knowledge that I can use to get there.”