Dear Freshmen

How to survive in high school

Dear Freshmen

Isabella Hershey, Print and website layout editor

The freshmen class this year has had a hard time getting used to their first year in high school due to Covid and adapting to high school in an untraditional way. Making a successful transition from middle school into high school can be difficult behaviorally and academically. Research by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln shows that behavior problems, suspensions, and expulsions are higher in ninth grade than any other high school grade level.

Eye of the Gale sought out advice from teachers and upperclassmen to help the newbies get a grip on how to conduct themselves in high school.

One senior who has experienced the stress and anxiety of being a newbie in high school shared some words of wisdom.

LHS Senior Emily Lundy. Photo courtesy of Lundy.

“Some advice I have for the freshmen would be to join some extracurricular activities! The biggest thing for my growth over the last four years has been being involved. I’ve grown up and I made friends who were older than me that helped me stay grounded,” says senior at LHS, Emily Lundy.

Staying motivated to participate in class and stay current on assignments can be challenging. Senior Jonah Hoffmann-Weitsman said looking toward future goals helped him succeed during his high school career.

LHS Senior Jonah Hoffmann-Wietsmann. Photo courtesy of Hoffmann-Wietsman.

“The biggest piece of advice that I would give to the freshmen class is to use your future aspirations for motivation in the present,” said LHS senior Jonah Hoffmann-Weitsman.

While in high school, making friends and communicating effectively with teachers can be very helpful. LHS teacher Mr. Stedman reflected on the importance of making connections with others.

LHS teacher Mr.Stedman. Photo courtesy of Stedman.

“My advice would be to take the time to develop healthy relationships with your classmates and your teachers,” said Stedman.

“Classes and information will come and go, but the friendships that you can develop and nurture during these four years at LHS will most certainly outlast anything that you may learn,” he said.

Academically, strategies such as using individual folders for each course, using a calendar, setting reminders, and consistently checking their school email accounts will help freshmen stay organized.

“Without looking at the big picture, schoolwork can seem mundane and pointless. By focusing on future goals, it can provide a reason to behave well and work hard,” said senior Jonah Hoffmann-Weitsman.

Overall, high school has its ups and downs, but freshmen can make the most out of it by following school rules, behaving in a mature fashion, getting involved in clubs and sports, making friends, and bonding with teachers.

Get going, freshmen! It’s time to Gale-up. Good luck!