Another Bountiful Season

Lady Gales win back-to-back OCC championships

LHS 2018-2019 Softball team win the OCC championship two years in a row.

Bradon Williams, Business & Circulation Manager

Image courtesy of the Athletic Department.

The Lancaster High School Softball team finished their season at 17-7 and won the Ohio Capital Conference (OCC) for the second year in a row. Their victory did not come easy.

“We have played a handful of state-ranked teams as our strength of schedule has been the most difficult we have ever scheduled,” said Coach Stephanie Miller.

“We have two seniors and two juniors, and the rest (our underclassmen) are proving that they can compete at an elite level in an elite conference.”

The team has hit a total of 37 home runs between 14 players in 682 at-bats. Additionally, the Lady Gales have an overall batting average of .360, which is well above average in the sport. The team’s success is most likely the result of “making the most of their opportunities” as Miller puts it.

Miller explained that each year, a team separates themselves from previous teams with a particular quality or personality. For example, LHS has had teams that were defined as the power offense, the team with the most chemistry, or the kids that have played all four years in their high school career.

“This year I truly feel, from top to bottom, that EVERY SINGLE GIRL was ready for their opportunity and made the most out of that opportunity,” said Miller.

On this year’s team, Miller said there are so many talented players that it makes putting a lineup together a “beautiful challenge”.

“This year they are my making the most out of their opportunities group,” she said.

The girls on the softball team say that because they lost several strong senior players who graduated last year, the young team was forced to create positive team chemistry and work well together to achieve results.

LHS sophomore, Emma Burke said that she is delighted in the team’s back-to-back championship and she is proud that the team developed well both offensively as well as defensively.

“I love playing on such a great team,” she said.

“We are very competitive. It’s very rewarding. We put so much work in during the offseason and it really showed on the field.”