LHS Student Wins State Art Honor

Winning art to be displayed across Ohio

Back to Article
Back to Article

LHS Student Wins State Art Honor

LHS art student, Taylor Williams, won 1st place in the Ohio Youth Art Month competition.

Image courtesy LHS Twitter

Image courtesy LHS Twitter

Image courtesy LHS Twitter

Madison Culbertson, Print Layout Assistant Editor

LHS student, Taylor Williams, was honored in Columbus recently for winning the Youth Art Month (YAM) flag competition in Ohio. Her artwork will be made into a flag and posters which will then be displayed all around Ohio to promote YAM. Her original creation is currently displayed outside the art rooms in the GAC area at school.

Williams she says that she “feels great” after winning this award.  She also placed second  last year for the digital entry.  The winning flag artwork is based on Williams’s own life.

“I decided to insert my life,” she said. “And flowers, because flowers develop like your life.”

While the flag was fun to make, Williams describes the effort she put into the winning design as short and simple.

“The process was like this; going into art class, grabbing a few of my colored pencils and a pen. It didn’t take that long to make the flag design.”

Williams has a strong talent and love for art and is considering a future career in an art-related field.

Shannon Fish, Williams’s art teacher, says that she is very proud of Taylor.

“Taylor is a very creative individual,” she said.  “The Art Department is thrilled to have such a high honor come to a student at LHS!” Fish believes that Williams truly deserved this and said, “her diligent work earned this award.”