What Happened to that New Year’s Resolution?

In the gutter or going great?

Isaac Robberts, Staff writer

How are those New Year’s resolutions going? 2019 is only a few months old and already the initial excitement of the new year has begun to fade.

By now, most people have given in or completely forgotten about the important resolution they set with high hopes of a better year ahead. While millions of people make new resolutions to improve their lives, the sad reality is that most fail quickly. According to the University of Alabama Medical School, less than 8% of people actually stick to their resolutions each year.

In fact, U.S. News and World Reports states that 80% of New Year’s Resolutions fail by February.
Now don’t despair. There is still hope. Call for a mulligan. Wipe the slate clean and start anew. There is still time! Experts say the key is to start small. According to an article by the Health and Wellness Services of Colorado University at Boulder, small steps should be taken.

“Sometimes larger goals can be daunting or difficult to achieve. If you’re looking to be healthier, start by swapping soda for water, try a fitness class at The Rec, take the stairs or park further from campus. To save money, start by setting up a savings account, creating a monthly budget or limiting your impulse purchases. Focus on small achievements that will help you get closer to your end goal while keeping you motivated.”

Some LHS students who made resolutions say, although it can be difficult at times, they have found some strategies to help them get back on track and move closer to their ultimate goals.

Senior Anna Gilmore says her cell phone keeps her from achieving her resolutions.

LHS senior, Brian Connell, set a goal to lose weight and has been trying to schedule a specific time to exercise.

“I keep a good schedule, but I need to set some time aside to work out in order to achieve my goal,” he said.

Another senior, Anna Gilmore says her 2019 resolution is to keep herself organized and clean her bedroom. However, she says she is thwarted by too much time spent on her cell phone.

“I’m going to try and set some time out of my schedule to help me complete my goal,” she said.

Sophomore Sean Kuehne says he’ll achieve his long term goal by working on it slowly overtime.

One student, sophomore Sean Kuehne, said his resolution is something he plans on working toward for the next few years. He plans on working hard to get into the Air Force after high school. His advice is to go big or go home.

“I have a tip for all that want to start and never give up on their resolutions,” he said.“Try not to shoot for something too simple or boring, and shoot for something you can achieve over a long period of time where you can work on it every day and anywhere.”

Psychology Today says goal setting is the language of the brain.

“One of the most important functions of the brain is executive function, a cluster of cognitive abilities that evolved to enable us to set and achieve goals. This brain function is what sets us apart from all other living things. Most other creatures react based on instinct; we take action based on planning.”