Gales Baseball Puts in the Work

40/40 challenge preps players for new season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gales Baseball Puts in the Work

Tyler Monk lifting for the 40/40 challenge while being spotted by Wes Ward

Macie May, Gales Tales Editor

Photo of every baseball player who achieved 40/40 this season

The 2019 Lancaster High School baseball season kicked off well a few weeks ago, perhaps because of the hard work the team put in months before to prepare. In the off season, the team participated in a 40/40 challenge. Each player attempted 40 workout sessions before the season starts.

It’s not for the weak. The 40-40 challenge is tough and tests the endurance of an athlete’s mental and physcial strength. But players and their coach say the challenge is a great way to kick off the new season and build comradery.

LHS baseball coach Corey Conn says the traditional off-season workouts help the team get to know the underclassmen and bond with them.

“If a team is not well bonded and close then there is no way we will be successful,” he said.

The 40/40 challenge workouts include mostly lifting and some practices on the field so they can see how they do as a team.
Most of the athletes who achieved the 40-40 challenge were upperclassmen who have played all four years of their high school career and say that the iron tough workouts help them gear up for the regular season.

“In my opinion I feel like the off-season is the most valuable time for our team,” said senior Tyler Monk. “Once the season starts we can’t be caught lacking or we won’t achieve anything,” he said.

Other players agree with Monk and say the 40/40 challenge is crucial to building teammate support. Senior A.J Cook, a four year veteran of the 40/40 challenge says he feels it is important to show his teammates that he is committed to the team and he wants to set an example for the underclassmen.

A baseball player reacts to the 40-40 challenge.

“This team is all about being there for your teammates and pushing them to do their best,” said Cook.

Another player, senior Jake Richards says his experience with the high school baseball teach and enriching opportunities like the 40/40 made him more dedicated to the game. He encourages others to consider playing baseball for LHS.

“I say that you should at least try it because you’re only in high school once, and who knows, you might enjoy it so much and make some new life-long friends friends,” he said.

Cook agreed and said, “It has been the best four years of my life.”