Eye of the Gale

PewDiePie v. T-Series

Taking A Stance Against Corporations

Back to Article
Back to Article

PewDiePie v. T-Series

PewDiePie and T Series vie to be the first to reach 100 million subscribers.

Bradon Williams, Business & Circulation Manager

Subscribe to PewDiePie, a phrase not hard to come by when browsing the internet. Whether on YouTube or some other social media site, this motto appears to be everywhere, from billboards to the SuperBowl.

Why? A controversial YouTuber named PewDiePie, who has enjoyed being the number one – most subscribed YouTuber for some time is being challenged by a competitor; a large corporation.

PewDiePie’s fight is against a channel known as T-Series, that is quickly approaching his subscriber count. While on the surface it may look as though its a simple trifle between two YouTubers, it is actually much deeper than that.

This battle represents an individual who creates original content, versus a corporation that hosts the videos on their channel, and doesn’t produce anything itself.  It also represents the voice of the YouTube community versus the money-hungry corporations that plague the site. If T-Series reaches 100 million subscribers first, it would demonstrate that individuality doesn’t really matter on YouTube, and that corporations can continue to beat the little guy.

Courtesy Google Images

What’s PewDiePie’s plan? He’s calling for support. With the help of his loyal fanbase and friends in high places, he has continued to hold the number one position at the moment. Not only does he want to make it to 100 million subscribers before T-Series, he also wants to make history by being the first YouTuber to do so.

So why is T-Series growing so quickly? T-Series is India’s top music and pop-culture brand currently owned by Bhushan Kumar and Krishan Kumar. The company was founded in 1983 and has been active on YouTube for about twelve years. They produce music videos for Indian Films, as well as some independent albums. Although there is nothing inherently wrong with the content T-Series produces, it is not the type of creative, personality-based content that YouTube is built on.

It should be noted that PewDiePie’s reputation as a popular vlogger, gamer, and comedian is not without controversy. He has been criticized for anti-Semitic jokes and using racist language.

LHS sophomore, Dylan Peterson subscribed to PewDiePie on principle.

LHS Sophomore, Dylan Peterson, who claims not to be a fan of PewDiePie is still rooting for him to win the subscriber race.

“His voice is annoying now, but I’d rather he be most subscribed than a random, crappy Indian corporation that makes low-budget bootleg films,” he said.

Peterson subscribed to PewDiePie out of principle because he said he doesn’t want a corporation to rule a website originally made for the public. At this point, both PewDiePie and T series have surpassed the 90 million mark as the competition continues.

Variety.com reports that, “YouTube subscriber counts aren’t meaningful except as a signal of relative popularity. They don’t reflect relative earning power or even average video views. The two channels trade in different formats.”

Variety.com also noted that T-Series has more than 65 billion views overall to date for its music videos, three times PewDiePie’s count of less than 21 billion lifetime views for his “let’s play” videos, vlogs and comedy sketches.