Eye of the Gale

The New Lion King

Hakuna Mattata - film promises to be a hit

Back to Article
Back to Article

The New Lion King

Courtesy Google Images & Disney

Courtesy Google Images & Disney

Courtesy Google Images & Disney

Courtesy Google Images & Disney

Staff Writer

Courtesy Google Images       Lion King, then and now.

In the words of Mufasa, “Everything you see exists together in a delicate balance and as king, you need to understand that balance . . .”

Can the world handle two Lion King movies? 25 years after the original captured hearts across the world, a new live action version of The Lion King will be released in July 2019.

The original Lion King was animated and released in 1994. It was one of the biggest animated films of all time. The film was also turned into theater show and was a huge success. The Lion King was the first Disney animated film to feature a completely original story line – that is, one that was not adapted from a pre-existing story.

Some movie-goers wonder if the new film will be as successful.

“The new version seems like it would be good, but nothing can beat the original,” said Mr. Knuckles, Assistant Principal at Lancaster High School. “The original was pretty darn good,” he said.

Emily Sampson, LHS senior

Some LHS students say the new version seems promising. “It seems photo-realistic and I can’t wait to see it this coming summer,” said LHS senior, Emily Sampson. “It looks amazing,” said senior Taylor Squires. “Great graphics,” she said.

The new film will be photo-realistic, computer animated and directed by Jon Favreau. According to CNN, there’s a star-studded cast with Donald Glover as Simba, and James Earl Jones, who is reprising his role as Mufasa. Singer Beyonce is the voice of Nala – the lioness who befriends Simba as a young cub, and later becomes his partner as he fights against his evil uncle Scar.

Chiwetel Ejiofor will take on the role of Scar with John Kani as the wise baboon Rafiki. Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen will play lovable meerkat and warthog duo Timon and Pumbaa.

Lovers of the original songs, like ‘I Just Can’t Wait To Be King’ and ‘Circle of Life’, will be pleased to hear that the new film will include songs from the original film. The new film version is likely to drum up some nostalgia and fans will no doubt delight in making emotional connections with the historic film.

Taylor Squires and Somer Gatrell, LHS Seniors

Squires says The Lion King was an important part of her childhood. “I watched it many times growing up, had every stuffed animal in it (the movie),” she said. “It will forever be my favorite Disney movie!”

The Lion King isn’t the only live action Disney remake that will be released next year – other movies include Dumbo and Aladdin.