Homecoming 2018

A steamy night

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming 2018

Ally Thompson, Tanner Roush, Houston Allen, Brittney Azbell attend Homecoming 2018.

Courtesy Houston Allen

Courtesy Houston Allen

Courtesy Houston Allen

Alexis Owens, Editor in chief

The 2018 Lancaster High School Homecoming dance on Saturday, October 6 was super hot – literally.  The temperature outside was a steamy 80 degrees, and without air conditioning, the interior of the cafeteria where the dance was held felt tropical and rather closed in.  Due to the high humidity, the students and staff experienced an uncommon level of sweating and perspiration.  Some students reported that the cafeteria floor was slick with condensation and that the atmosphere was uncomfortable.

“There was no air,” said LHS senior, Kelsey Conrad.  Sophomore Abbie Wifing added that the humid atmosphere was a significant issue.  “My least favorite part of the night would have to be the sweating,” she said.

Some female students said the warm temperature had a negative effect on their appearance and their enjoyment of the dance overall.

Juniors, Elizabeth Duncan and Brandon Stobart at the Homecoming dance.

“The atmosphere was super hot and clammy. The temperature affected my enjoyment of the dance because I had to go outside for air and then couldn’t hear the music,” said junior, Elizabeth Duncan.

Teacher Mrs. Albanese who helped chaperone the annual dance said the attendance at the dance this year was “much bigger than last year” which contributed to the heat and actually forced some students to “leave much earlier than expected.”  Albanese said about $100 was spent to provide water bottles for students but the supply ran out quickly due to the extreme heat.

Despite the steamy atmosphere, there were some special highlights to the Homecoming dance.  A fashion trend emerged with a number of girls wearing flowy jumpsuits and the guys sported a repetition of sleek black suits.  In addition, the music was a hit with many dance goers.  Chloe Knight, a sophomore, said, “The dance had a broad variety of music that brought different student groups together.”

Next year, the plans are to move the dance out to the courtyard in the front of the school if the weather throws a damper over the festivities.