Eye of the Gale

Girls Volleyball Finishes Strong

Season ends with win on senior night

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls Volleyball Finishes Strong

2018 Volleyball Team

2018 Volleyball Team

2018 Volleyball Team

2018 Volleyball Team

Nate Weber, Sports Editor

The Lancaster Golden Gales volleyball team finished their season with a record of 11-13.  After a lackluster start, the  team gained momentum and ended strong  by winning their first round in the OCC tournament, and taking a game away from the #3 seed in the tournament, before losing to Olentangy.

Coach Heather Powers summed up the season saying, “We did not have the season we hoped for, but the girls finished strong and competed at a high level. We have strong leadership on our team from many players.  Hayli Bartlett ended her career being in the top 10 in Division 1 for digs.”  Powers stated that the OCC division is one of the toughest divisions and that four of the six teams made it to the district finals.

Senior Felesha Wright echoed Coach Powers saying, “The division is very competitive. Our OCC conference including Reynoldsburg, Grove City, Gahanna, Pickerington Central, and Pickerington North. For the tournament, everyone besides us and Reynoldsburg was ranked in the top 20 for our region! Our league and region are very competitive, but to us, that just shows how much harder we need to work to be successful.”

LHS Senior volleyball player, Emily Sampson reflected over the past season as said that despite their despite their initial struggles, she is proud of the effort her team put forth.

“In my opinion, the season went pretty well.  We had a little bit of a rocky patch, but we got through it and finished the season playing our hearts out,” she said.

Giving it their all lead to many memorable highlights of the season.  Junior Savannah Dryden recalls a couple of exciting matches.

Courtesy Felesha Wright

“Some of the highlights this season was defeating Licking Valley. It was a hard fought game and we were able to pull through with the win. Another highlight is definitely defeating Reynoldsburg in the last home game,” she said, “The gym was very crowded and it was an exciting atmosphere.”

Wright offered this advice to her teammates for next year.

“The team needs to work on attacking almost every ball so they can score more,” she said, “There were times we just sent free balls over or rolled easy balls over the net, which gave the other team an easier chance to score. If we attack every ball hard, it will make it harder for the opponent to score.”

Coach Powers said to be more successful next season the team will have to concentrate on team unity.
“They need to work on playing together,” she said. “Team chemistry will take us far next year.”