Eye of the Gale

Pep Rally Recap

Seniors win spirit stick

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pep Rally Recap

James V., Gales Tales Editor

As the winter sports season is underway, there is already evidence that Gale Pride Spirit is alive and well!  The first pep rally of the 2018 school year was kicked off early October with the Lancaster High School senior class winning the spirit stick in the school-wide Gales Revolution competition.

The nearly two hour activity highlighted the LHS marching band as they rocked the gym rafters, while a flurry of the color guard flags twirled through the air.  The majority of the pep rally included a  parade of senior athletes from a number of fall sports teams, the introduction of the homecoming court, and friendly yet fierce competitions between staff and students.

Senior Caroline Fuller said the school spirit this year is awesome.  “The energy in the gym and the level of spirit in the games competition was impressive,” she said. “The student involvement and all of us coming together to show pride for our school was really nice to see.”

Senior Tyler Stump agreed with Fuller and said, “The level of Gale pride is pretty good.  A lot of people are involved.”

Freshman Sophie Maynard-Tkaczuk said her first high school pep rally was really fun. “There were many activities that were very competitive and something I had never seen before,” she said.  “All of the upper-class-men were very excited every time they won an activity.”

Freshman Braxton Black said that the spirit he saw at the pep rally was unlike anything he had ever experienced in middle school.  “It was lit!  Everyone was up cheering and singing,” he said.

The junior class competitors won the Hungry Hungry Hippos competition which consisted of students and staff riding square roller boards with wheels and gathering cushy foam balls in a life-sized version of the children’s toy game.

While the Subway eating contest was fun to watch, the Family Feud contest received less than positive reviews. “No more Family Feud! It makes us lose interest,” said LHS junior Kensi Graham.

However, LHS senior Kyle Brady said he would like to see something new at the nex pep rally.  “I would like to see a dodgeball competition because those contests are the best and really get people pumped up,” he said.

In the end, the senior class won the spirit stick for cheering the loudest and the pep rally wrapped up with students exiting the gym while singing, Sweet Caroline,  a LHS traditionally favorite tune by Neil Diamond.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPZEdWIF2zU